Work Time (PST) 6:00am - 12:00am
Serving San Diego, CA

A home heating system is essential in ensuring the health and comfort of each member of the household. It ensures that the home is warm, and will not leave household members feeling uncomfortably cold.

But a malfunctioning home heating system can be dangerous, even fatal. For this reason, households should never skip a periodic furnace or home heater inspection. Furnaces should be inspected at least twice a year to ensure that high levels of carbon monoxide are not emitted throughout the home.

Furnaces and gas heaters should be well-maintained to prevent health hazards from causing damage to the wellness of everyone in the household.

When there is a problem, a homeowner should also never hesitate to call a professional heating technician or contractor for assistance. It is also crucial that all carbon monoxide monitors at home are working in perfect condition. Moreover, if the furnace is worn out already, it is best to have it upgraded.

The Better Health Channel has enumerated the many health hazards linked to a faulty furnace. The most dangerous of which, though, is Carbon Monoxide Poisoning.

“A faulty gas heater can cause serious health problems. Health problems that seem to be worse or only occur when the heating is on may be caused by carbon monoxide (CO) from a faulty gas heater. Carbon monoxide is colorless and odorless. High levels of carbon monoxide in the air are hazardous and may cause people to pass out or even die. Children, pregnant women, and their unborn babies, older people, and people with chronic illnesses such as heart and lung disease are at increased risk from air pollutants, including carbon monoxide.”

Check out the full article here.

Silent Killer

The Washington Post has published an article that alerts the public about the dangers of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning. In their write-up, they mentioned that not a lot of households realize that Carbon Monoxide from their furnaces and gas heaters could already be causing them health problems.

“Albert Donnay, a consulting toxicologist, based in Hyattsville, Md., said he believes that more than 200,000 emergency-room visits per year should be attributed to CO poisoning, and the death rate is closer to 2,000 per year.  He said he thinks the numbers are higher than reported because CO-related illnesses often go undiagnosed and are treated incorrectly.”

Check out the rest of the article here.

Health website, WebMD, also came up with a feature article on the dangers of ill-maintained furnaces and gas heaters. In their article, they reminded homeowners to be responsible enough not to skip periodic maintenance inspection schedules.

“A healthy furnace makes a little carbon monoxide — a poisonous gas you can’t see or smell — that leaves the house through a vent. A poorly-kept furnace is a fire hazard and can put deadly amounts of the gas into your home. Change the filter regularly and keep the furnace area clean. A certified technician should check your unit every year, especially for cracks that you may not be able to see with the naked eye.”

The rest of the feature write-up can be found here.

Professional servicing of furnace and gas heaters should indeed be prioritized.

Add Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *