Work Time (PST) 6:00am - 12:00am
Serving San Diego, CA

Carbon Monoxide Poisoning could just be one of the dangers lurking in every home. Carbon Monoxide Poisoning occurs when fumes penetrate the home following a leak in the boiler or furnace piping system, or anytime fuel is burned indoors. 

Carbon monoxide is a silent killer, it can be present even in the most beautiful home.

Since it is odorless and cannot be seen, Carbon Monoxide can literally steal the life of unsuspecting people, and could even kill those who are asleep, sedated, or dead drunk even before they know it.

The United States Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has mentioned that up to 400 people die year after year due to carbon monoxide poisoning, and at least 20,000 individuals seek emergency hospitalization because of it. Unfortunately, the danger of carbon monoxide poisoning will always be there, since it usually occurs at home.

Preventing Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

Since the furnace or the boiler has a higher odds of emitting lethal Carbon Monoxide fumes, it is best for every household to have an annual periodic maintenance inspection of their boiler or furnace. This step is very important because only a trained certified technician can assess the current operational status of a home heating system, address possible issues, and assure the homeowner that the furnace is far from malfunctioning and emitting toxic fumes.

An annual tune-up all the more becomes important when the home furnace system is being used for the past 10 years. Older furnaces have sustained wear and tear due to continued operations, and it makes sense to be more pro-active when it comes to yearly maintenance checks.
CDC on CO Poisoning

Another way to prevent Carbon Monoxide Poisoning is by installing a Carbon Monoxide Detector. The detector should be positioned where everyone can hear it even when sleeping, and critical areas should have its own alarm. Moreover, the batteries have to be regularly replaced, and the unit should be replaced as well at least every five years to ensure that it works properly. It has to be tested regularly as well to be sure that it works.

Symptoms of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

Homeowners should make their household members aware of the symptoms of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning so that they could leave the home as soon as they suspect of a leak. Those who have experienced Carbon Monoxide poisoning but were able to survive and get better, say that they felt nausea, dizziness and headaches. According to the survivors what they felt can be likened to coming down with a flu, only that they are vomiting and feeling some chest pains and congestion.  

Here are some facts about Carbon Monoxide poisoning.

Add Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *